Economic And Energy Officer
The British Embassy in Azerbaijan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an Economic and Energy Officer, B3 based in Baku.
The successful candidate will be the Embassy expert on economic and energy issues, providing written and oral briefings in English on the Azerbaijan economy and energy environment. In addition, the job holder will provide policy advice specific to UK interests, and develop a wide range of government and non-government contacts on economic, energy and political issues.
The Economic and Energy Officer will also seek to drive forward joint UK-Azerbaijan projects and collaboration focused on the financial and economic sectors, will represent the Embassy at conferences and seminars and will contribute to official visits by assisting with the programme and contributing to the briefing material.
- Report and provide advice on Azerbaijan’s economy, financial sector and developments in the business environment. This will involve undertaking both quick analytical reporting and more detailed research on a broad range of issues and produce high quality tailored reports with minimal direction.
- Build and maintain a wide-range of senior energy and economic contacts in government, research institutes and the private sector, promoting UK objectives, seeking information relevant to UK objectives.
- Provide tailored analysis and recommendations on a broad range of energy issues important to British interests such as the Southern Gas Corridor, ACG Phase II Development and trans Caspian pipeline. Prepare stand alone reports analysing developments by e-mail and first drafts of diplomatic telegrams.
- Lead on the economic and financial sector reform programme, including through the Joint Intergovernmental Commission and other joint UK-Azerbaijan project work and collaboration focussed on financial and economic reforms
- Support British companies interested in developing projects in the energy field, particularly through provision of tailored advice on the investment climate and providing incoming UK business delegations with high-level economic and energy briefings.
- Provide regular analysis of good governance and transparency in Azerbaijan.
- Become the Embassy expert for rule of law and domestic governance issues. Produce clear, accurate, and concise written reports demonstrating a strong political awareness.
- Engage in flexible cross-team working to cover policy issues in colleagues’ absence.
- Represent the Embassy at conferences and seminars, reporting back to colleagues on key developments and trends.
- Contribute to official visits by UK ministers and officials. Assist with programmes and contribute to briefing material, including leading on energy and economic analysis.
- Excellent command of English and Azerbaijani languages (verbal and written);
- Economics qualifications at graduate level or above; or sufficient equivalent experience to demonstrate economics proficiency;
- Experience monitoring, analysing and reporting on energy, economic and political developments;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Projects a professional image and builds contacts and networks to help get the job done. Able to speak confidently with industry and other experts on energy and economic policy issues;
- Think strategically and be able to identify opportunities for UK interventions and activity – including project work – to help achieve our objectives;
- A team player, ready to help colleagues and share knowledge willingly;
- Strong IT skills, in particular Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel;
The salary is USD 2037.52 gross per month and shall be paid in AZN monthly.